Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Protein Bars

To help with the goal for my 30th Birthday, I have taken up making my own protein bars.  Unfortunately, buying protein bars can get expensive and you don't always know what goes into them.  Lastly, they're usually packed with sugar to taste good.  Sounds like a protein packed candy bar to me. As much as I love candy bars, it's not going to help me reach my goal.  So on came a challenge to make a healthy, yet delicious protein bar.
I have played around with a few ingredients to make my own bar and they're actually a hit!  They even get the stamp of approval from the boyfriend and friends. I am by no means a nutritionist, I'm just a girl trying to save a bit of money and eat better in the process!
This is not an exact recipe but more of a base, I tweak it according to consistency and taste. This is no-bake and contains a raw egg. 
What you need:

- 2C. Old Fashioned Oats
- Handful and a half of Raw Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Flax Seed
- 2 scoops of Chocolate Protein Whey
- 1/3-1/2C Peanut Butter
- 1-2 Tbsp Honey according to how sweet you want it
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Milk

Sorry about the quality of the photos...I didn't have my nice camera on me so the iPhone had to do!
In a food processor, blend oats, almonds and flax seed until it's a powder-like consistency.
Transfer this mixture into a large bowl.  Add whey protein and cinnamon, mix together.  Then add egg, peanut butter, milk, honey and blend with your hands.  It takes a bit for the mixture to start sticking together. This is where you can tweak the consistency to your liking.  I usually try to keep it like a "powerbar" and not too dry.  You want the ingredients to stick together in a stiff dough-ish form. 

Line a shallow baking pan with wax paper.  Press your mixture out into the pan until it's flat and even in the pan.  I try to keep the thickness around a 1/2".  If it doesn't fill your pan, it's ok, I just use it for shape.  Put in fridge for about an hour or until it's firm to the touch.  Take out and cut into bars.  Store in the fridge until you're ready to eat! 

They don't look as pretty and chocolate covered like the ones you buy in the store, but they're just as delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment